What We Do
At Socially Conscious Coffee® (SCC), we believe that education, health care, environmental stewardship, and sustainable economic development go hand in hand. Our programs based in these areas are essential to creating better futures for coffee harvesters and their families.
Since its founding in 2002, Socially Conscious Coffee has:
- Built critical infrastructure by constructing the Centro Rural Educafé, a 9,149 square foot school and community center on a coffee farm in Encruzilhada, Bahia, Brazil.
- Provided safe drinking water to more than 150 people.
- Provided more than 139,800 meals.
- Provided comprehensive primary education to more than 100 children and adults.
- Provided dental care to more than 60 children.
- Educated more than 840 people on health and hygiene practices, disease prevention, and water and food safety, and environmental stewardship.
Elementary and adult education empowers members of the community with the skills and knowledge needed to make informed decisions about their well-being, livelihood, and health.
Environmental sustainability projects are focused on both protecting and restoring the natural systems and resources of the region. Protecting Brazil’s natural environment is essential to local populations whose livelihoods depend on it, and is vital to the global systems on which all of us depend. SCC's programs include a local food garden and plans to grow and plant over 12,000 trees native to the Atlantic Rainforest.
Economic development initiatives encompass support for local businesses, development of entrepreneurial talent, and the creation of diverse sources of economic opportunity. We support small businesses that produce and supply clothing, food, construction services, repairs, art, handicrafts, furniture, books, and more. Future programs will include apprenticeships and certifications that teach local people to meet the needs of their community and increase their family incomes.